Prior to 1st January 1985 the SCCL coal was ungraded and the Government of India decided to extend the coal gradation to SCCL Mines on par with CIL on 1-1-1985. The Quality Management Department was setup to meet this requirement by the Company
Quality Management Department
The Dept. is headed by Chief GM (Quality Management). This Department has three major functions, namely
- Quality Management of non-coking coal produced by SCCL with respect to the coal grades declared as per GOI notification and as per FSA's entered with major customers/consumers
- Analytical function to assess the coal grade as per Useful Heat Value. Analysis of the mine gases from safety point of view and general analysis of various items as may be required by the company
- Providing R&D support in related fields like "RAMDARS", "Early Detection of Mine fires" etc. Advising on washing coal for coal beneficiation etc. by providing technical knowledge and support
The Chief General Manager (Q.M.) is the autherised signatory on behalf of SCCL on Annual Coal Gradation made by the Company and submitted to the Coal Controller, Kolkata.
Other functions of the Department
- Declaration of annual grades and its maintenance
- Quality-wise coal linkages to dispatch points for optimum sales realisation
- Liaison with the office of the Coal Controller, Kolkata
- Consumer guidance and attending to consumer complaints
- Attending to the Joint Sample Collection as per FSA's
- Technical guidance and co-ordination work with Area, Regional Laboratories and field quality control officers.